james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Soeren Hilmer <soren.hil...@tietoenator.com>
Subject Re: Regarding BUG 24885: RemoteDelivery only tries one of multiple A record
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:48:21 GMT
On Wednesday 03 December 2003 15:19, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Soeren Hilmer wrote:
>
> On Monday 01 December 2003 16:30, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > What about modifying DNSServer.findMXRecords to use getAllByName
> > > instead
>
> of
>
> > > getByName in the event that there are no MX records?
> >
> > But there is an MX record, but with multiple A records associated.
>
> What do you mean?  That you have this?
>
>         MX 10 mail
>
>  mail   A  aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
>  mail   A  sss.ttt.uuu.vvv

Yes, this is exactly what I mean.

> > I believe that I need to do a double loop in RemoteDelivery to solve this
>
> In my view, it should be done by our DNS lookup code.  See RFC 2821,
> section 5:
>
>    The destination host (perhaps taken from the preferred MX record) may
>    be multihomed, in which case the domain name resolver will return a
>    list of alternative IP addresses.  It is the responsibility of the
>    domain name resolver interface to have ordered this list by
>    decreasing preference if necessary, and SMTP MUST try them in the
>    order presented.
>
> So it is handling a multihomed destination that needs to be addressed.

Yes, this is what needs to be addressed. Now the problem of handling it at the
DNS lookup level (which I agree is the conceptually right thing to do) is
that the logging from RemoteDelivery gets more cryptic as the link to the MX
record is lost, you will get log lines like:
Attempting delivery of Mail1069955581999-mail to host aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd to
addresses [xx@mail]

where I would prefer to get something like:
Attempting delivery of Mail1069955581999-mail to host mail at address
aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd to addresses [xx@mail]

--Søren

--
Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.