james-server-dev mailing list archives

From kb <ja...@chorg.com>
Subject Re: Possible to make standalone program with SMTP?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:15:26 GMT

> I'd need to double-check the RFCs, but basically you need an MTA.  The
> reason being is that one mail server receiving an email from a remote
> mail server it doesn't know should have a way of writing back to that
> postmaster.  If you have your code do the remote delivery without
> running a mail server, you're basically acting like a bad kind of a spammer.

Hmm... spam is not the goal here... it is important for this app to send
mail regardless if there is an available MTA or not ...

I checked into the JavaMail api again ... i still don't see where you
can avoid the MTA requirement...

However i think that i have the answer I needed .. I can either use
JAMES itself and turn off the services i dont need, but i think i may
have to go with rolling my own Avalon style/phoenix container...

Thanks a lot for the help all :D