james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Monitoring
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:36:06 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>The Monitor service would be exposed via JMX (automatically
>>thanks to Phoenix and hopefully Merlin).
>>

>>The monitor service configuration would allow declaration of
>>groups and act as a factory for other components that wish
>>to be monitored.
>>

>My suggestion would be to use JNDI for this purpose, and to have a JNDI
>context containing the metrics.

I would have thought you would have used something like
javax.management.NotificationBroadcasterSupport

I.e. things happen - raise an event.
Ok - so this is what I'm doing inside the Merlin Kernel. Thing is that
at the end of the day you want to expose these event via JMX ... no?

Stephen.

>  ../metrics/protocols/SMTP/..
>
>An SNMP service would expose an SNMP protocol view of the information in the
>metrics context.  A component would get its metrics context and interact
>with the beans that we'll probably store there.  So long as we have a
>suitably common interface, the rest is automagic.
>
>	--- Noel

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org