james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard O. Hammer" <ROHam...@EarthLink.net>
Subject Re: Regarding BUG 24885: RemoteDelivery only tries one of multiple A record
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:48:55 GMT
Søren Hilmer wrote:
 > ... I am adding a
 > DNSServer.findARecords method to do it (basically a copy/paste of
 > findMXRecords).

I find this very interesting, and I am working on code to deal with
it.  But I don't want to step on Søren's toes.

Within a day or two, I hope to post some code here which works -- as
far as I have been smart enough to test it.  Then I hope to benefit
from the list's critical review of that code.  I don't know enough
about DNS to feel sure of myself here.

I want to confirm my understanding of "preferences".  As Noel cited,
RFC 2821, section 5, says:

    The destination host (perhaps taken from the preferred MX record) may
    be multihomed, in which case the domain name resolver will return a
    list of alternative IP addresses.  It is the responsibility of the
    domain name resolver interface to have ordered this list by
    decreasing preference if necessary, and SMTP MUST try them in the
    order presented.

I believe that these preferences pertain to the host targets of the MX
records.  The hosts are ranked.

But, for any given host, if that host is multihomed, then the IP
addresses for that host are not ranked.  They can be returned in any
order within the list of IP addresses for that host.  Does that sound
right?

Rich Hammer