james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Possible to make standalone program with SMTP?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 02:25:55 GMT
kb wrote:
> What i mean by "smtp enabled" is that the program itself does the smtp
> protocol transfer.

I believe you mean remote delivery to each host, since client-server and
server-server SMTP communication is basically the same.

> Unless i am mistaken, the JavaMail API's constitute a MUA , (which i am using to build
the messages )

And you can send it.

> What i was looking for was API's that constitute an MTA, so i could send
> them without resorting to an external program, (
> Postfix,James,Sendmail,Qmail,etc )... I had thought i had found them
> here....

I'd need to double-check the RFCs, but basically you need an MTA.  The
reason being is that one mail server receiving an email from a remote
mail server it doesn't know should have a way of writing back to that
postmaster.  If you have your code do the remote delivery without
running a mail server, you're basically acting like a bad kind of a spammer.

--
Serge Knystautas
President