james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Short" <ssh...@postx.com>
Subject Monitoring
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 22:48:38 GMT

I've been taking a look at what it would take to add some monitoring to
James.  I think it would be useful to base James monitoring on the SNMP
MTA MIB as defined in RFC 2789
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2789.txt?number=2789).  I'll briefly
summarise the data structures defined in the RFC.  Firstly, there is a
top-level structure for the MTA as a whole called mtaEntry, this
contains the following fields:

   mtaReceivedMessages
   mtaStoredMessages
   mtaTransmittedMessages
   mtaReceivedVolume
   mtaStoredVolume
   mtaTransmittedVolume
   mtaReceivedRecipients
   mtaStoredRecipients
   mtaTransmittedRecipients
   mtaSuccessfulConvertedMessages
   mtaFailedConvertedMessages
   mtaLoopsDetected

Following this there is a table of 'group' entries each called
mtaGroupEntry, where a group can be anything we define it to be.  Groups
can also be hierarchic, so there might be one group called "Queues" and
this could have children such as "Spool Queue", "Outgoing Queue" and
there might be another group called "Processors" with children "root",
"transport", "error", "spam" etc.  The following is a partial list of
the group fields:

   mtaGroupIndex
   mtaGroupName
   mtaGroupDescription
   mtaGroupMailProtocol
   mtaGroupReceivedMessages
   mtaGroupRejectedMessages
   mtaGroupStoredMessages
   mtaGroupTransmittedMessages
   mtaGroupReceivedVolume
   mtaGroupStoredVolume
   mtaGroupTransmittedVolume
   mtaGroupReceivedRecipients
   mtaGroupStoredRecipients
   mtaGroupTransmittedRecipients
   mtaGroupOldestMessageStored
   mtaGroupLastInboundActivity
   mtaGroupLastOutboundActivity

Not all fields need be used by all groups. Value fields within groups
may or may not be additive.  So the mtaGroupStoredMessages value for
"Spool Queue" and "Outgoing Queue" would be accumulated in the
mtaGroupStoredMessages value of their parent group "Queues" to show the
total number of messages currently queued.  But the
mtaGroupReceivedMessages field of the Processor children need not
accumulate in the "Processor" record.  Likewise the group records may or
may not accumulate into the top level mtaEntry record.

So does it seem to the members of this list like a good idea to base
James monitoring on these basic structures?