james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Regarding BUG 24885: RemoteDelivery only tries one of multiple A record
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:19:05 GMT
Soeren Hilmer wrote:
On Monday 01 December 2003 16:30, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > What about modifying DNSServer.findMXRecords to use getAllByName instead
of
> > getByName in the event that there are no MX records?

> But there is an MX record, but with multiple A records associated.

What do you mean?  That you have this?

        MX 10 mail

 mail   A  aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
 mail   A  sss.ttt.uuu.vvv

> I believe that I need to do a double loop in RemoteDelivery to solve this

In my view, it should be done by our DNS lookup code.  See RFC 2821, section
5:

   The destination host (perhaps taken from the preferred MX record) may
   be multihomed, in which case the domain name resolver will return a
   list of alternative IP addresses.  It is the responsibility of the
   domain name resolver interface to have ordered this list by
   decreasing preference if necessary, and SMTP MUST try them in the
   order presented.

So it is handling a multihomed destination that needs to be addressed.

	--- Noel