james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Regarding BUG 24885: RemoteDelivery only tries one of multiple A record
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:10:34 GMT
Søren Hilmer wrote:
> rawDNSLookup needs to be called twice. I am adding a
> DNSServer.findARecords method to do it

Why not use InetAddress.getAllByName(String host)?  It will get all of the
IP addresses associated with the host.

> On Friday 05 December 2003 16:30, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > The return is a Collection of String objects.  Each one is currently of
the
> > form "host", but if we were to handle multi-homed hosts by using
"host/IP",
> > it seems to me that we could either parse it directly, or change the way
we
> > construct the URLName.

> Yes, I also thought of this, but this is a change to the functionality
> of MailetContext, so it will break backwards compatibility.  Adding a
> new method will not.

So, the problem is that the existing method is not doing what we want, and
you are concerned that there might be third party code relying upon that
method, which is fair enough and a good point.

In fact, I am curious to know what Jason Webb's company is doing in this
area, since they have a custom delivery mailet, if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of a good way to fix the current method
without losing the host name in the log.  However, it might be a good idea
to fix the existing method, anyway, even though it would change the log
output.  Improved functionality at the expense of the host name in the log.
Someone using the current method would see the IP addresses in the log
instead of the host name, unless they change their code to look it up.

What do you propose for the new method signature and return type?

	--- Noel