james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject RE: Sieve Proposal (Request For Comments)
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:08:35 GMT

> LinearProcessor is the familar matcher/mailet flow.  Another processor
type
> could implement a newer configuration scheme; an approach I seem to
recall
> you favored.  Some other processor type could conceivable provide
> distributed container support.  Steve's SieveProcessor implements the
Sieve
> language, with its own operations.

Quite right, I agree with all of that, what my question is is why do we
continue to support "processor" as disting from "Mailet" when essentially
the both have identical lifecycle and service method sigs.

I mean, why not make the spoolmanager require mailets as its components,
and have Processor mailets to manage further workflow tasks.

Then a sieve or forking or distributed proessor could be used wherever a
Mailet _or_ a Processor is currently specified, rather than have to choose
between one role or the other at design time?

I'm not trying to stir up trouble for it's own sake! I'm genuinely
interested.

Perhaps the compromise might be to write polymorphic components which could
fill either role, leaving developers free to tie their component to one
role if they chose to?

d.

viruses.