james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject RE: Sieve Proposal (Request For Comments)
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:34:45 GMT

> The Sieve implementation will expect a mail message that implements a
> MailAdapter interface. The MailAdapter interface specifies the minimum
> functionality required to implement the Commands and Tests that RFC3028
says
> a Sieve implementation 'MUST' implement[1]. All of which will be
implemented
> by this Sieve implementation.

Sounds like a Plan, go for it.

> Also, any further ideas on where/how I might dump this evolving
code-base? I
> hope to have an alpha release by year end.

Based upon the assumption that you have two tasks to perform:

1/ modify existing James Container to support alternative processor types
than "LnearProcessor"

2/ develop a sieve processor

I would suggest that you carry out 1 on the HEAD (or the New HEAD once
things get swapped around) as it will not only be independant of 2 it will
HAVE to be compatible with the rest of James, and will be possible without
any external signs (assume un-specified processor declarations are for
LinearProcessor etc)

2 could go in contrib, I'd strongly urge you to try (without driving
yourself into an asylum) to make this truly a component, such that it can
be built, as far as possible, without access to James using only the mailet
(and 3rd party) API(s). Where Mailet API changes are indicated bring them
back here. This would not only achieve the sieve functionality but pave the
way for the development of further alternative processors.

Now I'll freely admit that I'm obsessed with component architectures, I
like the way that james is assembled from its Big Chunks in an avalon
container and can itself assemble mailets into behaviours without
programming, I'd love to see this extend to processors too, it would be
another, potentially richer, and relatively painless way for 3rd paties to
extend James.

I'm tempted to resurrect the debate about why processors are not
specialized Mailets , but I'll just mention once it and see if anyone has
anything new to say. :-)

d.

viruses.