james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: newbie-question concerning relationship between matchers and mailets
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:14:28 GMT
> As far as I understand the schema, a matcher "fires",
> if it's condition is satisfied.

> This is a boolean topic: fire or not. No collection is needed.

Wrong.  Matchers simply bifurcate the recipient set into matching and
non-matching sets.  The mailet is called to process the matching set, if it
exists.

> But, if the collection of matching recipients would be
> passed into the mailet, that could make sense.

The collection is attached to the mail object.

> What is happening now, seems to be:
> 1. the matcher returns a collection of matching recipients

Correct.

> 2. the framework decides to invoke the mailet, cause
>    the collection is not null or not empty

If the matching recipient set is not empty, the mailet is invoked to process
it.

> 3. the framework throws the collection in garbage

No, if the matching and non-matching sets were both non-empty, there are two
copies of the mail object going through the spooler, one with each set.

> 4. the mailet is invoked without the collection

No, the mailet has already been invoked with the matching set.

	--- Noel