james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Raw <cr...@quirk.co.za>
Subject Re: 8BITMIME support
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:21:02 GMT
Hontvari Jozsef wrote:
 > I was thinking about this too, I guess most of the work comes from the
 > requirement, that if you accept 8bitmime, then you have to be able to
 > convert it to 7bit, because a recipient server may not support 8bitmime.

You are right, although, until recently, thats not the way Postfix went about it :>

The actual decoding and encoding is handled by javax.mail.internet.MimeUtility, so it would
be a
matter of checking the receiving MTA's EHLO response and running through the body parts to
do the
conversion and resetting the Content-Transfer-Encoding header.

There are a number of issues with this MIME processing however, such as dealing with incorrect
and
badly formatted MIME headers. Do you reject an email if is RFC-invalid, or try to send it
anyway?