james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: imap status
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:51:20 GMT
Serge Knystautas wrote:
> > The delimiter is usually "." or "/". It might break poorly written
> > clients to use something else.
>
> Agreed, I've seen clients screwed by anything but / as the
> delimiter and
> would favor that.

I'ld favour that as the default, possibly with the option to override to
something else as part of the configuration. I say <i>possibly</i> as I
haven't thought through the issues of changing the delimiter after mail has
been written to the store. Dealing with this <i>may</i> be more expensive
than the benefits it delivers.

Either way, it would be a help to be able to query the delimiter(s) in use.
This would allow services that use folders, such as future Mailets and
jSieve to construct valid folder paths. Also, it would be good to have two
distinct exceptions. One for a malformed folder path, eg:
MalformedPathException, and one for non-existent folders, eg:
PathNotFoundException. This would enable a service to react differently to
the two distinct conditions.

-- Steve