james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: Need location for new class: o.a.javamail or o.a.mailet
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:24:48 GMT
Serge Knystautas wrote:
<snipped/>
> I don't think I'm too keen on using "javamail" for the
> package, whether
> or not it was nested below o.a.james.  I wouldn't veto it,
> but here are
> my concerns:
>
> - it's a trademarked Sun term.
I believe that JavaMail is, but javamail is not.
But if its a worry, how about .jmail (if that's not a TM too)?

> - this code is not a replacement or implementation of JavaMail.
That's true. If it was it would use the javax.mail package names so that it
could be dropped straight in.

> - the code in fact has very little to do with JavaMail:
>    a. HostAddress is DNS resolution issue
It's a specialization of a javax.mail class.

>    b. delivery notices are a *JAF* implementation
In part. The handlers are, the MimeMessages are again specializations of
javax.mail classes.

> I could see a javamail package if we were implementing
> javax.mail.Store
> (like an mbox implementation).  But as this is just general
> mail server
> related code, I don't think using "JavaMail" is right.  I
> just see a lot
> of potential confusion.

In my view these are specializations/extensions of JavaMail types with no
mail server specific code. In fact, in the case of the MIME support, a Java
mail client would use the same classes.

> I would like to see it packaged somewhat differently though.
Any suggestions?

Perhaps we want to move this discussion back to general? It seems like we
don't have a consensus!

-- Steve