james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: Status of JMS Mailet?
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 20:00:57 GMT
johan wrote:

> I would like to have more information about the JMS Mailet, is it
> already available?

I believe someone at BEA wrote a James Mailet as part of a demonstration of
JMS. You might be able to find it on their developer site -
http://dev2dev.bea.com/index.jsp. To be honest, it ought to be simple to do.
Use Mailet.init() to create or acquire your producer, Mailet.service() to
send the (possible transformed) mail and Mailet.destroy() to teardown or
release your producer.

For anyone planning to use, or using, JMS I strongly recommend "Enterprise
JMS Programming" by Shaun Terry. Its excellent.

Also note his warning of when not to use JMS in Chapter 1, which sites
e-mail as an example - "it is already supported by an industry standard
infrastructure (SMTP, IMAP and so on, and by a specialized Java API
(JavaMail)". This is not saying don't use JMS. A Mailet which transforms a
mail's contents into a system standard message is cool. I'm merely
indicating the thoughtfulness of Shaun Terry's approach.

-- Steve