james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Need location for new class: o.a.javamail or o.a.mailet
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:05:55 GMT
Steve Brewin wrote:
> Hmmm. My original suggestion was org.apache.JAMES.javamail but on
> reflection, for types which do not have any dependencies on James, I'ld say
> org.apache.javamail is better, as you suggest.

I don't think I'm too keen on using "javamail" for the package, whether
or not it was nested below o.a.james.  I wouldn't veto it, but here are
my concerns:

- it's a trademarked Sun term.
- this code is not a replacement or implementation of JavaMail.
- the code in fact has very little to do with JavaMail:
   a. HostAddress is DNS resolution issue
   b. delivery notices are a *JAF* implementation

I could see a javamail package if we were implementing javax.mail.Store
(like an mbox implementation).  But as this is just general mail server
related code, I don't think using "JavaMail" is right.  I just see a lot
of potential confusion.

I would like to see it packaged somewhat differently though.  Then
again, we have other util classes that are useful.

--
Serge Knystautas
President