james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Cheng <jmch...@alum.mit.edu>
Subject Re: Stream-based MIME Parser
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:45:40 GMT

>Finally.. MIME is extensible through "official" mechanisms for sepcifying
>"official" new MIME types, make your parser extensible too and you can keep
>up to date.

OK.  So, let me make sure I have this straight.  There are MIME types
that are, to the parser, opaque--it doesn't actually need to be aware of
these types or how to handle them, it just needs to return the content
to the caller (handling the proper decoding if necessary).  For example,
application/*, audio/*, video/*, image/*, text/*, etc.

Then there are MIME types that have structural semantics to them, e.g.
multipart/*, message/rfc822.  The parser DOES need to understand these
types.

Is that accurate?

And by "new MIME types" you're referring specifically to additions to
the latter group, that would require the parser to be modified?

-jmc