james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Need location for new class: o.a.javamail or o.a.mailet
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:38:09 GMT
Preface: I don't feel very strongly about this and wouldn't veto any of
the suggestions put forward.  But just to respond to some points:

Steve Brewin wrote:
>>- it's a trademarked Sun term.
>
> I believe that JavaMail is, but javamail is not.

<snarky>
pardon me while i xerox this note, drink a coke, and read e. e.
cummings. (http://www.poets.org/poets/poets.cfm?prmID=157 american poet
most known by high school students writing almost all in lowercase)
</snarky>

Legal issues notwithstanding, my concern is people seeing this package,
getting excited about an ASF JavaMail, and then wondering why it's just
these weird util classes they don't understand.

> But if its a worry, how about .jmail (if that's not a TM too)?

What about .mail? :)

Actually I like o.a.james.util.  We already have it, and there are
classes in there like InternetPrintWriter and dot stuffing that could be
useful to others.

To begin with org.apache.james means a) it's Java, b) it's email related
[c) reuse friendly-open source], etc...  IMHO these are just isolated
utility classes that are tough to classify.

<snipped />
> In my view these are specializations/extensions of JavaMail types with no
> mail server specific code. In fact, in the case of the MIME support, a Java
> mail client would use the same classes.

True.

> Perhaps we want to move this discussion back to general? It seems like we
> don't have a consensus!

Dev is as good as any I figure.

--
Serge Knystautas