james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enrique.rodrig...@25oz.com>
Subject Mailman Bridge Mailet
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2004 05:46:27 GMT
Hi, James Developers,

I wrote a first draft of a "Mailman Bridge Mailet" and have attached it.
  I would really appreciate feedback on the use of the Mailet API, as
well as any comments/criticism on style, format, or Java usage.

The MailmanBridge Mailet "pipes" mail to Mailman.  The intent is for
James to be used as the MTA in (former) Postfix and Sendmail
environments.  Each line of what was once an /etc/aliases alias mapping
can now be represented as a mailet block in James' config.xml.  What was
formerly:

list-announce:         "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post list-announce"

can now be expressed as:

<mailet match="RecipientIs=list-announce@localhost.localdomain"
class="MailmanBridge">
     <debug>false</debug>
     <passThrough>false</passThrough>
     <runAs>mail</runAs>
     <wrapperPath>/var/mailman/mail/mailman</wrapperPath>
     <program>post</program>
     <argument>list-announce</argument>
</mailet>

I currently have it running on two personal lists and so far so good.

As for enhancements, I plan on reworking the config, so the XML is less
verbose and, hopefully, to reduce the sheer number of Mailets, since it
currently operates as one Mailet per Mailman alias.

I built it against the latest from CVS, which identifies as "James Mail
Server 3.0a1."  This Mailet drops into
org.apache.james.transport.mailets and I call 'ant' to build it right
into the distribution.  I am running it on Fedora Core 1 with
mailman-2.1.4 and j2sdk1.4.2_03.

-enrique