james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Developing with James
Date Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:28:57 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Marco,
>

>>Hi, of the jars at the following address:
>>http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/james/jars/
>>which ones I need in order to develop a custom mailet/matcher?
>

> As I said to you earlier, we are not responsible for that packaging.  My
> guess is that Stephen McConnell is responsible for it.  He probably set it
> up so that his Merlin Repository could download JAMES.

Yep - that would be me.

Its related to some stuff concerning OpenIM and James running under Merlin.

> I have no idea why there are two copies each of the Mailet jars.  As for why
> there are mailet-api and mailet-impl jars, that looks like he did it out of
> habit.  Separate jars implies that, and is useful when, one is the API
> (e.g., interfaces) and the other contains an implementation of that API.
> This is not the case with the mailet jars.  The Mailet API is defined by
> both interfaces and classes, and there really should be only one jar.
> James, itself, provides the implementation classes for the interfaces.

I put together the mailet-api based on an analysis of what is actually
exposed by the Mailet.  The mailet-api specifically aims to limit
dependencies exposes on the API by pushing implementation artifacts into
mailet-impl.  The objective it to allow the publication of the mailet
service while supporting component based mailets that interact with the api.

I should emphasis that this is all rather experimental and there are
more than a few questions that I have concerning the approach (which
could easily be totally off the track).

Cheers, Stephen.