james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Sebastian Jekutsch" <jekut...@pcpool.mi.fu-berlin.de>
Subject Testing course on James
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:24:29 GMT
Dear James developers,

at the free university of Berlin, we currently plan to offer a course on software quality
assurance for the students in computer science. The idea is to take a software project/product
from the real world and to apply various defect finding techniques to the excutable and source
code. We identified some open source projects to be interesting, amoung which James is one
one the most promising.

To get an idea how well Lames suits our needs, maybe you can give some assessment on the following
subjects:

-> Which part/module of James needs testing and is supposed to contain bugs of various
kind? Do you rate James being buggy (in some modules) or is it likely that we won't find many
bugs at all?

-> How well is the source code of James prepared to be treated by code inspection techniques
to find bugs? Is the code and the program design well documented and comprehensible?

-> Will finding bugs in James be anticipated by the community (i.e. YOU :-) to raise motivation
of the students? Or are there many already known bugs which needs treatment?

We expect about 10 students in the course which will work 100 houres each (including introduction)
on finding bugs in James. I guess that will help James to become even more powerful!

Thanks in advance for any helpful remark,

Sebastian Jekutsch
Stephan Salinger

Work group Software Engineering
Institut für Informatik