james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Hes Siemelink" <hes-l...@izecom.com>
Subject Return-Path header twice in message
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:29:01 GMT
Hello

I posted about this problem a while ago on the user list (as I am
a James user, not a developer), but didn't get much response. This
time, I'm including a patch; I hope that someone will pick it up.

We are experiencing some unexpected behavior with James 2.1.3 when
sending a message that has two Return-Path headers.

An example of such a message:

    From: "Brinkers" <testuser@example.com>
    To: <testuser@example.com>
    Subject: Return-Path mail
    Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:36:33 -0500

    Hoi

James transforms this into something like

    Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:02:16 +0100

    another_testuser@example.com
    From: "Brinkers" <testuser@example.com>
    To: <testuser@example.com>
    Subject: Test Mail
    Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:36:33 -0500

    Hoi

It seems that new headers are created and the original headers
start with
after a blank line, causing them to be interpreted as a message
body.

In Outlook, this is displayed as a message without Subject or From
field,
where the message body starts with the
'another_testuser@example.com' followed by
the original headers.

Now putting the Return-Path twice in your headers is probably not
a good
idea, but we do happen to have some emails that have that in our
test set
and would like to process them in a reasonable way.

So we investigated the James source code trying to find the cause
for this
unexpected behavior.

In org.apache.james.smtpserver.SMTPHandler in the method
processMailHeaders() we found the following call to retrieve the
Return-Path
header.

        // Determine the Return-Path
        String returnPath =
headers.getHeader(RFC2822Headers.RETURN_PATH,
"\r\n");

This roughly means "Give me all Return-Path headers separated by
line
breaks.". Later on, this returnPath String is put on top of all
headers.
We deduced that if there is more than one Return-Path header, this
will
result in something like