james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Merge Status
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:36:36 GMT
> > One thing I am wrestling with is either committing merged
> > portions as I go, which means that the MAIN branch in CVS
> > *will not compile*, or waiting until it is all completed
> > before committing.

> I'd prefer you wait, with the assumption that the mega merge commit
> would happen by the end of the month.

I certainly hope so!  :-)  Actually, I think I've been picking the worst
parts to work on so far.

> > I have also been looking at memory usage.  MimeMessageWrapper needs
work.
> > We should not need to load the MimeMessage at all just to work with
> > headers.  We should be able to add headers without rendering the body,
> > although if we add headers and then save, we currently count on the fact
> > that we are are writing from memory (otherwise we'd be writing the same
> > stream we are reading).

> Yeah, I would say more than just an individual header, but also
> individual message parts.  For example, you should be able to add a
> text/html footer to a message with a big image/zip attachment and not
> have to load that image/zip attachment into memory.

That requires pretty much rewriting JavaMail, I think.  Not just
MimeMessage, but also how it handles Parts.

> Say, wasn't there a recent thread on jakarta about File.deleteOnExit()
> being a memory leak or something?  What's the suggested way to handle
> temp files then?

Yes.  I've written code for that and given it to Martin Cooper for Commons
IO.  We don't use File.deleteOnExit in James.  We used to use it, but
removed it in 2002.  You can see the change here:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/james-server/src/java/org/apache/james/cor
e/MimeMessageInputStreamSource.java?r1=1.8&r2=1.9&diff_format=h

The code I gave to Martin would work with our class as well.  And thanks for
reminding me; I think that MimeMessageInputStreamSource solves the problem I
had in mind.  And there is a really obvious place that needs to be
optimized.

	--- Noel