james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Stream-based MIME Parser
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 07:11:08 GMT
> I know people aren't thrilled with the JavaMail parser, but the one
> thing it does very very well (meaning it takes a lot of effort) is
> spec implementation.

Well, actually, I am getting too many exceptions from it with real-world
mail, and in cases where I really should not need to care.

> The API is not perfect, but really we just could use a lazy-
> instantiating version of javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart

The trick is going to be seeing how well and cleanly do that (not just
there), since Sun did not separate interface and implementation in JavaMail.

> Continue to use the same familiar API and avoid loading the whole
> message into memory.  I'm pretty sure we can just register with
> JavaMail to use a different parser, and then whenever it does hit
> a multipart type, it could use our parser code.

I know that a Store can return a MimeMessage subclass, but we'd have to
override the base class just about wholesale (more than we've done so far),
and I'm still not sure if we can do everything.  But we can give it a go.

	--- Noel