james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Developing with James
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:11:33 GMT
Marco,

> Hi, of the jars at the following address:
> http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/james/jars/
> which ones I need in order to develop a custom mailet/matcher?

As I said to you earlier, we are not responsible for that packaging.  My
guess is that Stephen McConnell is responsible for it.  He probably set it
up so that his Merlin Repository could download JAMES.

I have no idea why there are two copies each of the Mailet jars.  As for why
there are mailet-api and mailet-impl jars, that looks like he did it out of
habit.  Separate jars implies that, and is useful when, one is the API
(e.g., interfaces) and the other contains an implementation of that API.
This is not the case with the mailet jars.  The Mailet API is defined by
both interfaces and classes, and there really should be only one jar.
James, itself, provides the implementation classes for the interfaces.

	--- Noel