james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Re: Testing course on James
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 03:48:06 GMT
> at the free university of Berlin, we currently plan to offer a course on
software quality
> assurance for the students in computer science. The idea is to take a
software
> project/product from the real world and to apply various defect finding
techniques
> to the excutable and source code. We identified some open source projects
to be
> interesting, amoung which James is one one the most promising.

That's great.  I'm sure that we would love to have the participation.

> Which part/module of James needs testing and is supposed to contain bugs
of
> various kind? Do you rate James being buggy (in some modules) or is it
likely
> that we won't find many bugs at all?

Hopefully it is relatively clean, but what do you call a bug?  A RFC
non-compliance error?

> How well is the source code of James prepared to be treated by code
inspection
> techniques to find bugs?

Reviewed by hand.

> Is the code and the program design well documented and comprehensible?

Well-documented?  Mixed bag.  Comprehensible?  I think so, and it is
improving as we go through it.

> Will finding bugs in James be anticipated by the community (i.e. YOU :-)
to raise
> motivation of the students? Or are there many already known bugs which
needs treatment?

Not too many known ones.  You can check http://issues.apache.org/jira, and
look at the James project.

> We expect about 10 students in the course which will work 100 houres each
(including
> introduction) on finding bugs in James. I guess that will help James to
become even more powerful!

Sounds great.

    --- Noel