james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Cheng <jmch...@alum.mit.edu>
Subject Re: stream-based MIME parser
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:45:22 GMT
Just want to make a note that my MIME parser currently presents you with
streams that are non-seekable, non-markable, and non-writable.  Not sure
if anyone was expecting anything different, but there it is.

In other words, even if you've parsed through the body once and have
somehow recorded the bodystructure of the multipart message, there's no
way to jump to a particular part; you need to make another pass over the
message, from the beginning.  Since multiparts can be arbitrarily
nested, it's not as simple as just seeking to a particular offset into
the message... you would need to reconstruct the state of the parser at
that point as well.

(I still don't have a great mental picture of how exactly the parser
will fit into James, so I'm just going to throw some limitations out
there and you guys can tell me if they matter.)

Also, it seems like the codec guys consider emitting MIME to be just as
important as parsing it... the stuff I've written will not help at all
for that.  And I've implemented the parser in terms of InputStreams,
which the codec stuff consciously avoids.