james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Intelekia" <inte...@intelekia.com>
Subject RE: Linux account integration
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:05:26 GMT
Hi Serge,

The best option is JAAS (Java Authentication and Authorization Service),
introduced as an optional package in J2SE 1.3 and integrated into J2SE 1.4.
It implements a Java Pluggable Authentication Module (PAM) framework to
provide single authentication against Unix, Windows, Kerberos, etc.

Please check the enclosed very simplified demo code.

>From the command line:

java -Djava.security.auth.login.config=./demoJAAS.config DemoJAAS

If you replace com.sun.security.auth.module.UnixLoginModule by
com.sun.security.auth.module.NTLoginModule in demoJAAS.config will allow you
tu run the sample on Windows platforms (2k, XP, etc...).

Normally there should be a -Djava.security.manager loaded as well to limit
the permissions of the application, but that would do for a demo.

I will be happy to work with you on implementing this extension to James;
let's work out the requirements.

Best regards,

Isaac.