james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Linux account integration
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:52:35 GMT
Serge,

> I'm thinking of creating another user implementation that extends the
> current file one, but when it does the authentication, it will check
> against the Linux account.

> This is so I don't have to setup an LDAP server but otherwise can let
> people use their same passwords.

FWIW, there is a read-only NIS provider for JNDI.  I don't know of a similar
one for the Windows login system, but the NIS one can be used to access
local login information on linux.  I just downloaded it to take a look
(http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/serviceproviders.html).

> > The best option is JAAS (Java Authentication and Authorization Service)

There is code in the Directory project that would help for this, where we
are integrating AAA (RMS, JAAS, and Janus) with JNDI/LDAP.  Alex can explain
the roadmap best, and how we can use these components to handle user
repositories.  He had I were discussing this earlier, and he's reading the
thread in the archives.

	--- Noel