james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: MxSorter and changes to DNSServer.java
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:57:53 GMT
> > I just realized that like an idiot, I just committed the
> > changes before testing them.  :-(  I'll be doing that
> > immediately.

> Sounds great, (except for the non-testing part ;-))

Well, at least the dogfood tastes good ...

Changing to use org.xbill.DNS.Address instead of InetAddress for the lookups
seems to be running fine so far.  I haven't tried Fetchmail, though.

> > I find it bothersome that Sun's DNS service for JNDI apparently
> > ignores the TTL provided by the DNS server.

> Agreed, [the] very least they could have done was to provide
> a hook to circumvent it.

OK, this was a false alarm, and wrong.  Sun's documentation is just poorly
worded, but I found a clarifying e-mail.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/net/properties.html says that
"networkaddress.cache.ttl [indicates] the caching policy for successful name
lookups from the name service."  That is misleading, especially since they
later refer to sun.net.spi.nameservice.provider as specifying the name
service provider, and giving JNDI DNS as an example.  However, Jayalaxmi
Hangal from Sun provided details in
http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0402&L=jndi-interest&F=&S=&P=4
67, and clarified that the caching is not used by the JNDI DNS provider.

I don't know what Sun's provider does do in terms of caching.  If we want to
replace it with dnsjava, we should be able to do so.  I thought I had
remembered finding a name service stub for dnsjava on the net somewhere, but
I cannot locate it anymore.  However, I did find some stub code:

  http://java-house.jp/ml/archive/j-h-b/051361.html
  http://java-house.jp/ml/archive/j-h-b/051940.html

It looks as if it would be fairly straightforward to plug in dnsjava, at
least with JREs that support the sun.net.spi.nameservice.provider property.
Perhaps Brian knows where there might be a ready-made adapter.  I have
e-mailed him to ask.

	--- Noel