james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: stream-based MIME parser
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2004 03:27:17 GMT
Serge,

The reason I mentioned Jakarta Commons was because of a thread back in
March*.  There has been some interest in Multipart MIME there.  But I think
it might be best to develop it here, and then consider moving it to Commons.
Frankly, I don't want to be held to a coordinated schedule with Commons
Codec.  But I would invite Mark** to work with us on the code, if he were
still interested.

That is similar to why Alex Karasulu started the streaming codec work in
Directory.  And it might be worth looking at Alex's streaming codec, and
adopting is a common interface for moving the data into the package.

As for why it would be good to support push processing, it is a natural fit
with the rest of the event drive architecture, and if we had the capability,
it would tie in nicely with the SMTP ACL code.

Database streaming is already an issue, as I noted a couple of weeks back,
because it forces us to load the entire message into memory when using the
db protocol.  Not streaming over JDBC isn't entirely bad, since connections
are a limited resource even when streaming is well supported.  I've been
wondering if the db protocol might benefit from an on-the-fly dbfile-like
approach where the body is cached.  That could significantly increase
performance when using the db protocol for spooling, and reduce the
footprint for POP3/IMAP.

	--- Noel

*
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=commons-dev@jakarta.a