james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Learning from the Past -- mining the Attic
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:40:48 GMT
> > By the way, if anyone wonders about Processors and Mailets,
> > and why it is often confusing in some cases as to why they
> > are different, look at the old code.  A processor was
> > nothing more than a specialized mailet.  :-)  So it
> > shouldn't be surprising at all, in retrospect.

> What is confusing is why Processors are not still instances of
> Mailet .. why did we remove the flexibility that that would
> have offered, namely the ability to nest certain Mailets?

I don't know.  Serge would be the best person to answer.  I can only go by
the code and CVS comments (the archives only go back to 2001), so it is an
rather an exercise in software archaeology.

But I agree with you in principle, which is why I pointed out the history.
It was particularly coincidental in timing, with my work on refactoring the
self-spooling behavior used in RemoteDelivery.  Would you be willing to
revisit the issue for v3?

	--- Noel