james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: IMAP and maildir (and a bit of LDAP)...
Date Mon, 10 May 2004 16:13:50 GMT
Adam Fowler wrote:
> It says in the WIKI that it does not yet support permanent storage of
> messages. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow night, and was wondering
> if there's any simple pointers anyone could give me on writing a storage
> mechanism. i.e. is there an API available to build such a 'plugin' or will
> this require mass hackage of the imap2 stuff?

Not sure what you mean by this.  We have no API/requirements for the
storage mechanism, although maybe you can base it off on the in-memory
storage the proposal has now.  I'm not sure about the user-attribute
stuff as that would require changing the existing James user repository
interface and implementations.  We had talked about using the JavaMail
Store API for storage of POP3/IMAP folders, as a possible replacement or
enhancement of the existing MailRepository, but it's not so simple a change.

> I've spotted this (GPL'ed): http://javamaildir.sourceforge.net/
>
> If possible, I'll hack together a mock interface to it, test it and
> contribute it. If anyone knows of an apache licensed version that'd prolly
> be better. (yes? Is this work underway?)

That's not compatible (even with the wrapper), but I believe there is a
work-in-progress maildir parser in CVS or JIRA at this point.

> The reason I'm interested (read: desperate) is that I've got Exim setup for
> SMTP on a box of mine and courier-imap is horrid vis a vis LDAP access for
> authentication. If James supports LDAP for authentication (or uses JAAS -
> will look tomorrow) that's great, if not I'd rather hack together some Java
> code than get into a mishmash of BASH and C.

There was support for LDAP, but I couldn't swear it was working.  JAAS
is a real pain from what I've seen (no real runtime management), but
LDAP through JNDI is pretty easy to do comparatively.

> If anyone else is interested in this/knows how best to proceed then please
> e-mail me your thoughts.

Hopefully this gives you something useful and others can chime in as you
get more questions and dig into this.

--
Serge Knystautas
President