james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: Container direction for James
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:27:53 GMT
Paul Hammant wrote:

> The future for JAMES is almost certainly not Phoenix (or its sucessor
> Loom) or Merlin (or its sucessor Metro). That assertion in itself is
> almost certainly going to start a fight.

Hopefully there is no need for a fight in these parts, there's been enough of that elsewhere
recently.

> I am slowly working on changes to Cornerstone. These changes
> may allow
> JAMES components to be independent of IoC container. Or more
> accurately
> will grant "Contextualized Lookup" (Avalon) components an alternate
> capability in a "Constructor Dependency Injection" world.  In
> no part of
> the patches I'll submit to this project, will I take away Avalon
> capability (whn I get back to it).

The approach you describe would certainly free the current codebase of its purely Avalon dependency.

An alternative for v3 would be to switch the core container architecture to Constructor Dependency
Injection. Then depolyers have the choice of lightweight deployment via something such as
Pico/Nano or something more heavyweight.

I'm not advocating either approach, but am wondering what you see as the relative strengths
and weaknesses of each approach.

Cheers,

-- Steve