james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Hes Siemelink" <hes-l...@izecom.com>
Subject RE: Container direction for James
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:37:05 GMT
James should run on a platform that is supported.

Although Phoenix became Merlin became Metro, it appears from the outside that it is largely
the same people working on largely the same code base.

Maybe James 3.0 is a good point to bite the bullet on go over to Metro. Good opportunity as
well for the Metro guys to show that their platform is stable & robust.

On broader perspective, I hope that James will become container independent and only has ties
to well-established Java APIs and de facto standards, so eventually it can be dropped into
any environment, for example an appserver like JBoss.

Cheers,

	Hes.

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy Henderson [mailto:r_henderson@rebexitservices.co.uk]
Sent: maandag 18 oktober 2004 18:52
To: 'James Developers List'
Subject: Container direction for James

Hi,

A recent question to the Avalon list resulted in a very clear "Phoenix is no
longer supported" response with the comment that Merlin was its replacement
( as far as Avalon is concerned ).

Even if a final decision has not been taken yet, does the James team have an
intended candidate for replacing Phoenix?

I seem to recall a recent thread which suggested James might even become
container-independent. Is that a serious possibility as the next stage or
would there be a container-specific version first?

As a late update, I now notice that Merlin appears to have gone for a walk
in a different direction and become Metro ... does this impact any James
directional thinking regarding containers?

Thanks,

Roy