james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <P...@ThoughtWorks.net>
Subject Re: Container direction for James
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:51:58 GMT
Folks,

> Ah, but what is a well-established Java API for containers?

Without a shadow of a doubt JSR 77 and 88, and the Geronimo team's
understanding of containers and components are the most relevent
direction for JAMES. They have a GBean architecture and go to some
effort to generate MBean capability for components.  See
http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Architecture/Components

Perhaps the best snippet from that page is - "Service developers could
use POJOs and we can use DynamicMBeans or some MBean code generation"

Knowing the Geronimo developers as I do, they mean Dependency Injection
components when they say POJOs. They favor CDI of course.

The future for JAMES is almost certainly not Phoenix (or its sucessor
Loom) or Merlin (or its sucessor Metro). That assertion in itself is
almost certainly going to start a fight.

I am slowly working on changes to Cornerstone. These changes may allow
JAMES components to be independent of IoC container. Or more accurately
will grant "Contextualized Lookup" (Avalon) components an alternate
capability in a "Constructor Dependency Injection" world.  In no part of
the patches I'll submit to this project, will I take away Avalon
capability (whn I get back to it).

Regards,

- Paul

--
ThoughtWorks - recruiting Java/.Net OSS* Architects/Developers worldwide
Speak to the ThoughtWorker(s) you know best/longest about ThoughtWorks..

* Also recruiting non-OSS developers, PMs, BAs, Agilists, Testers