james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <P...@ThoughtWorks.net>
Subject Re: Container direction for James
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:50:52 GMT
Steve,

>>I am slowly working on changes to Cornerstone. These changes
>>may allow
>>JAMES components to be independent of IoC container. Or more
>>accurately
>>will grant "Contextualized Lookup" (Avalon) components an alternate
>>capability in a "Constructor Dependency Injection" world.  In
>>no part of
>>the patches I'll submit to this project, will I take away Avalon
>>capability (whn I get back to it).
>>

>The approach you describe would certainly free the current codebase of its purely Avalon
dependency.

>An alternative for v3 would be to switch the core container architecture to Constructor
Dependency Injection. Then depolyers have the choice of lightweight deployment via something
such as Pico/Nano or something more heavyweight.

In the CDI space, there is also the Spring Framework. I understand that
Hivemind and even Merlin support CDI components.

A direction for the committers to decide. In lieu of that, all
directions components compatible with CDI and Contextualized Lookup (via
Avalon) would be best (but not easiest).

- Paul

--
ThoughtWorks - recruiting Java/.Net OSS* Architects/Developers worldwide
Speak to the ThoughtWorker(s) you know best/longest about ThoughtWorks..

* Also recruiting non-OSS developers, PMs, BAs, Agilists, Testers