james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: site process
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:59:13 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> > So what about using Confluence for content creation and maintenance?
>
> I would be -1 to use Confluence for content delivery,

I agree.

<snipped>

> If you are proposing that we can use Confluence for content
> editing, and
> still populate the site with static content, then I have no
> objections.

As the ultimate source of what is being processed is the xdoc source in the
repository, there would have to be a way of checking this out and converting
it into a format Conflunce can understand prior to updating it, or we would
have to make Confluence format pages our source format. I'm not really
comfortable with that and would rather stick with xdoc as our source format
if at all possible.

> > I just what to drastically cut the number of steps and required
> > expertise to update our website.
>
> Let's agree on that goal, and explore what options we have to
> achieve it.
> There was discussion at ApacheCon regarding a site build
> server, which would
> ease the publishing effort.  David Crossley seemed keen to take it on.

Yep. In an earlier mail in this thread that seems to still be wending its
merry way to this list, this corresponds to my suggestion of "Reading the
Forrest documentation, <<IF>> it is stable enough, we could use Forrest's
web. app. to submit and review pages. Once we are happy with them, we could
then invoke forrestbot or Ant from the same web. app. to add them to SVN and
deploy them to the live server."

Such a thing would be especially cool as it could validate pages prior to
publsihing - we all make mistakes!

-- Steve