james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: site process
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:58:43 GMT
Danny Angus wrote:

> Regarding the website & docs,
> Any opinions on whether it would be a good or poor idea to
> use Maven, does
> anyone prefer forrest, should we stick with plain-old xsl  ...
> this is not a proposal or a vote, just a request for comments.
> Please note this isn't a call for evangelisation, lets hear if the
> commiters have an opinion.
> Once I've gauged the mood I'll make a proposal.
>
> d.

<<IF>> we were to switch to Maven as our project wide build tool, as
oppossed to vanilla Ant scripts, I might be swayed toward Maven. I would not
like to see us using one build tool for the website and docs. and another
for the source. This would just be confusing and cause extra work.

Speaking of extra work, changing to another base document format would
require that all of the existing documents be changed. In my view, we would
need some very compelling advantages to undertake this work, and ideally a
tool that performed the transformations for us.

Regardless of format and tools, we do need to change the directory
structure. I am not sure we need to do more right now. What problems do you
envisage a change of tools or format solving?

Cheers,

-- Steve