james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: site process
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:35:31 GMT
Steve Brewin wrote:
> <<IF>> we were to switch to Maven as our project wide build tool, as
> oppossed to vanilla Ant scripts, I might be swayed toward Maven. I would not
> like to see us using one build tool for the website and docs. and another
> for the source. This would just be confusing and cause extra work.

I agree, but consider that right now the site already is in a different
branch and uses a different build tool for website and docs.  It *is*
confusing and causes extra work. :)

> Speaking of extra work, changing to another base document format would
> require that all of the existing documents be changed. In my view, we would
> need some very compelling advantages to undertake this work, and ideally a
> tool that performed the transformations for us.

True, though we've probably got more useful info in the wiki (and the
mailing list archives) than in the docs themselves, and our docs are
somewhat dated (maybe outdated).  We're going to have content migration
issues with the new site no matter what.

I would ideally like to have the entire site buildable so as to get
bundled as docs in the release (we have something like this now I think).

> Regardless of format and tools, we do need to change the directory
> structure. I am not sure we need to do more right now. What problems do you
> envisage a change of tools or format solving?

My 2 cents is that the tools to manage the website are crippling efforts
to keep them up to date.  I've been trying to think of a way to use
confluence or the wiki to provide a source of the docs, then regularly
publish updates out to the webserver for static viewing, but dunno... I
haven't figured out anything great.  I love confluence, but had enough
political issues with JIRA that I learned to bide my time. :)

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501