james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: site process
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:10:00 GMT
Steve Brewin wrote:
> We seem to have at least four distinct issues here...
>
> 1) The document source format which is difficult to develop and maintain
> without a WSIWYG editor that natively supports the chosen format.
>
> 2) The task(s) used to transform each document from source format to
> presentation format.
>
> 3) The organisation of the content.
>
> 4) The build tool used to drive the task(s) in (2).

I can't even stick to my words yesterday that I wouldn't mention Confluence.

So what about using Confluence for content creation and maintenance?  We
can either setup templates to output this as xdoc or use an ant task
that uses XML-RPC to grab the latest content from confluence and updates
what's in SVN.  Here's something Codehaus uses for something similar
http://despots.codehaus.org/Confluenza.

Ok, sorry I'm wrambling, but I just what to drastically cut the number
of steps and required expertise to update our website.  Right now we:
1. checkout james
2. edit the xdoc
3. run ant task to transform
4. review HTML and return to step 2 as necessary
5. commit xdoc and html
6. ssh in and update the html

I would want to remove the effort between steps 2 and 4 and also
automate steps 1 through 6 as much as possible.  I see confluence as
able to achieve that, but really that's all I want.

I see our site system as broken because of these three things:
1. 3 weeks ago (?) jakarta changed it's mailing list, so nobody can
subscribe to James' mailing list.
2. 2 weeks ago (?) we changed from SVN to CVS, and we still haven't
posted this anywhere or changed the navbar link.
3. 3 days ago someone gripes about how we're developing on the
branch_2_1_fcs, and it's not anywhere on the site still.

Updating the site should be as easiy as composing an email complaining
about it. :)

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501