james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: site process
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:38:44 GMT
> So what about using Confluence for content creation and maintenance?

I would be -1 to use Confluence for content delivery, and I suspect that
others would be as well.  My primary reason is that we serve over 4TB of
data per month, and we get considerable help from Conditional-Get and high
performance serving of static resources by httpd.  Confluence, and the Wiki
in general, preclude the latter, and I don't know how well any of them play
with the former.

However ...

> We can either setup templates to output this as xdoc or use an ant task
> that uses XML-RPC to grab the latest content from confluence and updates
> what's in SVN.

If you are proposing that we can use Confluence for content editing, and
still populate the site with static content, then I have no objections.

> I just what to drastically cut the number of steps and required
> expertise to update our website.

Let's agree on that goal, and explore what options we have to achieve it.
There was discussion at ApacheCon regarding a site build server, which would
ease the publishing effort.  David Crossley seemed keen to take it on.

	--- Noel