james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ahmed Mohombe <amoho...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Repositories
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:08:49 GMT
> I've only played with Cloudscape before (Derby's forerunner if you don't
> know, I'm sure Danny does!). How would people feel about dropping file:
Dropping files might be accepted, but not DBFiles.
Having no "pure file" support, would mean that users would need a better
"remote manager", and since there's nothing like this for JAMES with DB
at the moment, it would mean the JAMES wouldn't work out of the box.

> support altogether and only using db: repositories then?

> However this would mean that dbfile: wouldn't work. I don't want to kill a
> feature "accidentally" that a lot of people rely on.
DBFiles are great, and from our tests, is the best combination possible.
These days, mails are big and have attachments too, and we found no DB
till yet that would be able to handle this the right way(with the same
hardware like the one used for DBFiels). Having the headers only in the
DB is: "taking the best of both worlds" :).

Just my 2 euro cents :).

Ahmed.