james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject PROPOSAL: Warning in build.xml of trunk
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:41:47 GMT
Hes Siemelink wrote:
> Sent: 05 January 2005 18:03
> To: James Users List
> Subject: Warning in build.xml of trunk

<snipped>

> Here's a diff for the build.xml of the SVN trunk (main
> branch). It will
> print a warning message and some directions if you try to build it. I
> think this will be the most effective way to help people who've
> downloaded the trunk to find the source they actually want.

Hes has suggested a way of warning people of the inadvisability of working
from James HEAD when more often than not they currently need to be working
from branch_2_1_fcs. While I think it is a great idea, I just want to run it
by folks on the dev list before going ahead and committing his patch as it
does change the default build target.

The default build target would change from 'main' to 'warning' which looks
like this...

+    <target name="warning">
+        <echo message="WARNING"/>
+        <echo message=""/>
+        <echo message="This is the trunk (main branch), which is only used
for"/>
+        <echo message="experimental purposes."/>
+        <echo message=""/>
+        <echo message="Unless you are a developer, you never want to take
anything"/>
+        <echo message="from either trunk or branches.  You want a tag,
representing"/>
+        <echo message="a snapshot of the code at a point in time, e.g.,"/>
+        <echo
message="http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/tags/build_2_2_0_fcs/"
/>
+        <echo message="is the v2.2.0 release."/>
+        <echo message=""/>
+        <echo message="At present, if you want the current working code,
you want"/>
+        <echo
message="http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/branches/branch_2_1_fc
s/"/>
+        <echo message=""/>
+        <echo message="To build the main target, give the command 'ant
main'"/>
+    </target>

The only issue I can see is that the default target no longer runs a build
as people are used to. In my view, this is a small price to pay to reduce
the level of misunderstanding evident from frequent posts in the user and
dev lists.

Any objections? If so please shout!

Cheers,

-- Steve