james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Gabor Kincses <npure2...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:48:58 GMT
You seem to be describing a different container style,
like Phoenix or Spring.  That should largely be
immaterial to the James core.

Except for object lifecycle management.  Lightweight
(non-intrusive) containers have little lifecycle
management (picocontainer e.g. has start(), stop() and
dispose()).  The differences in lifecycle management
should be isolated in container dependent lifecycle
management adaptors.

The Groovyscript seems to be done.  Pick your favorite
container and write the configurator for it.  I
personally use/like picocontainer.  Given the current
architecture of James, main can be written with a
MutablePicoContainer in place of groovyscript.

BYO(DPI)C.  Bring your own (dependency-injection)
container.

Gabor

--- Ahmed Mohombe <amohombe@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Serge Knystautas wrote:

> of
> >>

> >> Me too.
> >>
> >> Please, I beg you, put no Groovy/JPython or other
> things like this in
> >> it. For Got sake, let JAMES be a JAVA project.
> >

> > Can you explain your objection, or at least
> clarify it since Groovy is
> > Java.
> IMHO Groovy is not Java. Just open a Groovy file in
> a modern IDE (e.g.
> IntelliJ) and tell me what support do you have for
> it?
>
> > Either we use groovy, use another container's XML
> construct to configure
> > James, or invent our own XML structure.  What do
> you suggest?
> Isn't the Jakarta-commons Digester not good enough?
> Besides, what's so complicated to make a simple and
> verbose XML
> configuration (so that everyone understands it)?
> A simple XML structure can very easily get a simple
> Swing or Web GUI, so
> that everyone can edit/change the configuration
> without too many errors.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
>
> Ahmed.

> For additional commands, e-mail: