james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject JavaMail API and SMTP transport for Geronimo
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:22:23 GMT
Although we continue to work with them, at this time the Apache has not
been able to agree with Sun on redistribution terms for their JavaMail
and Activation APIs for use in the Apache Geronimo project. As a
contingency measure, I have been working on a clean-room implementation
of those APIs under the Apache License and this is nearing completion.

However, are still two big issues we need to address:
1) How do we know they are compatible?
    We will be putting the APIs through the appropriate TCKs but nothing
    helps testing like real-world usage. Is there anything we can use in
    James to help test these new implementations?

2) Transport providers, especially SMTP
    The JavaMail API is normally bundled with a set of default providers.
    Are there (client-side) implementations of these in James that we
    would be able to reuse, or is there transport code we can start from?

Thanks
--
Jeremy
Apache Geronimo project