james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Christophe Laumond ...@motet.dk>
Subject Hardware and protocol for performances ?
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:39:30 GMT
hello,

We have some questions about the hardware we should use, but we have not
the possibilities to test the different situations. If you can speak
about your experience in order to make a choice, it would be very usefull.

Our mail system  have 200-300 000 users, so what is better to use :
- a single computer with a good configuration, and in this case, what is
the necesary configuration (CPU, RAM, Hard disk, network flow) ?
- at least two computer, one with database, another with James. And so
what is the necesary configurations ?
- a farm of computer with several computer, and so the number of
computers and their configurations and roles ?

Actually, we principaly use the POP3 ans SMTP fonctionnalities, do you
think that the IMAP can afford better performance for this number of
user ? Or should we use a direct access to the database ?

Thanks a lot for your responses.