james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Zhukov <zhu...@ukrpost.net>
Subject Re: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:14:01 GMT
Groovy is a scripting language with almost the same semantics as java
but extended to certain extent that allows a faster writting of config
scritps
The fact it is scripting language and _only_ configuration is written in
groovy gives administrator the possibility to change configuration
without recompiling java classes

configuration in jamesng and any CDI IoC application is not pure
name=value pairs or even xml like in james v2
it is more of a script with logic and method calls

which is both bad and good
bad: requires certain skills to configure
good: as flexible as java but does not require recompilation

If you know java your groovy learning curve is very short
check the groovy.codehaus.org
and additionaly the example of default config of jamesng
http://devel.priocom.com:8083/viewrep/JamesNG/container/src/groovy/DummyConfig.groovy?r=1.3

answering your question: pure java is good and i'd prefer jamesng to be
pure java application and it can be done like that, but groovy gives
more flexibility in configuration than either name=value pair properties
or xml files and it does not have to be compiled - easy for admins.