james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <danny.an...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hardware and protocol for performances ?
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:06:08 GMT
I think it also depends upon how much mail these people get.

I would think that with hundreds of thousands of users you will be
looking for high availability as well as capacity, and in order to
achieve this I would suggest that you use a clustered database (I'm
not about to recommend anything I'm not a dba) and in front of that
have at least two instances of James.

It is more likely that you would want to have two tiers of Jameses the
front tier inside your firewall performing spam/virus filtering and
forwarding all traffic onto a second tier which performs routing and
delivery.

If your database is HA you can share the db between both tiers, or (if
you were using something like Oracle RAQ or on "big iron") have two db
instances run on the same set of hardware.

You may also want to have secondary servers in a remote location
capable of accepting and queueing incoming mail when your primary site
is down.

Your hardware options shouldn't be limited by James, but a James
architecture on many low capacity boxes may lead you into more complex
set-up.

see http://wiki.apache.org/james/SmartOrSecondaryHost for some ideas
on how to start thinking about a big installation.

d.