james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Short" <ssh...@postx.com>
Subject RE: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:06:53 GMT

FWIW I was playing with Spring and James a while ago as a learning
exercise and got all of James running in Spring with no code changes to
James or Avalon components.  I had to write a couple of context and
factory classes but other than that it was all fairly straightforward.
For config I used Spring to instantiate Avalon configuration objects so
it used an unmodified James config.xml file and could easily be modifed
to split the config file. It used log4j for logging. I had to keep a
couple of Phoenix classes in the classpath as James uses these directly

It does not support any of the Enterprise Server class functionality
such as JMX support, stopping and restarting services, hot redeploy, but
this is all stuff that could be worked out.

I don't see this as ready for production use, but I do see it as a
potentially useful migration path - i.e. full James functionality in a
new container _now_, and components (James and Avalon) can be migrated
to POJOs one at a time.

Cheers
Steve